Meet Doula Malika Hook Muhammad
I trained to be a doula in 2008 by Debra Pascali-Bonoro, author of Orgasmic Birth. After training, I spent several years working with the Philadelphia Alliance for Labor Support (PALS), providing childbirth education and support to families with limited financial resources. I moved to the DC metro Area in 2011 and began providing DC doula services. With the help of an amazing doula and my husband, I peacefully navigated 50 hours of active labor that resulted in the birth of a fantastic little boy.
As The DC Doula, my goal is to support families in need and to provide evidence based education and resources to my community.
In my spare time, I enjoy practicing yoga, studying herbalism, and learning about natural healing. In my other career, I obtained Masters degrees in Social Work and Education from Columbia University and Baruch College in New York City.
My Doula Trainings and Certifications
- Certified Lactation Counselor – Healthy Children’s Project – Washington, DC 2017
- Doula Trainings International Childbirth Educator Certification – 2017
- Centro Ashé – Grassroots Community Herbalist Apprenticeship – Bryans Road, MD 2016-2017
- Doula Trainings International Birth and Postpartum Training/Certification – Atlanta, GA – 2016
- Indigenous Remedies – Community Centered Herbalist Certification – 2015
- Spinning Babies – Gail Tulley – 2013
- DONA International Birth Doula Training – Philadelphia Alliance for Labor Support 2011
- Breastfeeding Education – Philadelphia Maternal, Child and Family Health 2011
- Reiki II – Learn Reiki Philadelphia – Usui Master Danielle Stimpson – 2010
- DONA International Birth Doula Services Training – Philadelphia Alliance for Labor Support 2008
- Multiple Sclerosis Information and Resources Certification – National MS Society – 2008
- Reiki I – Viva Institute, Philadelphia – Usui Master Helena Baronheid – 2007
Human Development and Family Studies, B.S. – The Pennsylvania State University, 2001
Social Work Administration, MSW – Columbia University, 2005
Higher Education Administration, M.Ed. – Baruch College (CUNY), 2007